Friday 12 October 2012

Rough sketch concept:

Here is an example of how I could make my Digipak and what it could be like:

Scan-to-Me from 192.168.255.105 2012-10-11 101922
(The black strip in the middle appeared due to a fold in the paper causing the middle of the page to stick up in front of the scanner.)
My intial idea as mentioned in my previous posts (the sketch above was made before the 3x album analysis) is that my Digipak album will have 6 sides. The front cover was planned to have the right side of my face, looking depressed, appear on the left edge of the cover, in front of a black background, to visually imply despair and emptiness. Then as the cover shifted to the top right, the gradient fill effect would become a white background, to make the other half of the cover appear lighter and softer. Then the background image in that corner would be me and my girlfriend standing together in happiness.
The back cover would be basic, follow the colour palette, and feature a track, and other details required on the album cover such as a barcode.
The inside panels would feature background images of a bar, to provide distant relevance to that of the narrative. The panel which contained the CD itself would have a background of a round table surrounding the placement of the CD as an effective visual effect. (Somewhat metaphorically breaking the fourth wall by implying that the disc is being placed on the round table in the pub, as if we were actually there, which would amplify our relation to the narrative content featured in the music video.)

A 2nd idea:
However, since this idea was developed before my other analysis tasks, I have since thought of a more fitting idea that would suit an album presenting a soft rock genre CD.
- While some photography may be used, the general idea is for me to use sketch drawings. Since my drawing skills are limited as shown by my Animatic production, another idea is to take Photo images and edit them to appear more like drawings, perhaps using software such as Photoshop.
- The design and layouts for my soft rock cover examples were generally more basic and less outgoing than the Kerrang Digipak, which was used in my analysis as a notable comparison. The design for Elbow for instance, had a front cover that simply had a title, over a main image, over some details below. The implication being that based on my analysis and inspiration tasks, it may be a good idea to consider using a basic or stereotypical layout schematic for my Digipak making. On the other hand, if I research some examples of Digipak layouts, I may find further uses of inspiration and ideas.
- The colour palettes used in the soft rock examples were basic, about 3 or 4 colours. For instance, the Elbow Digipak and poster generally featured yellow, brown, green and balck and white only. Since use of black and white are practically compulsory, only 3 colours of choice were used for the entire Digipak and poster. The colours were also very dull in contrast to Kerrang's bright colours, since it was a design and colour scheme assosciated with soft rock's classical, old fashioned feeling. Compared to kerrang, the colours were very 'casual' in representation of the Digipak. (The soft rock covers were the 'blue oni' to Kerrang's 'red oni.'
- The typography was variable in terms of the soft rock examples. I am Kloot included many different fonts, and all of unusual types. This was to provide effective use of illustration in its Digipak and most notably in its poster, which had lots of different uses of fonts. In comparison, Elbow used very simple, Arial in bold styles of font, and used it consistently in both its Digipak and poster. My idea is to perhaps use one familiar font for most of the small text and additional details, but to use illustration effectively, I may use more unusual and visually interesting, stand out fonts for my main title and sub-heads, etc...
- All in all, my cover will probably have the main image of me still in photography, but the background image in front of the white background will be hand drawn. This may actually make the background work more with the white bg in the top right corner, since the pencil outlines will perhaps both blend in and stand out from the bg at the same time. This is a useful and effectively illustrative idea for my album cover, not to mention evidently fitting to the soft rock genre media texts associated with my idea. Instead of a pub background for my inside panels also, my new idea is to perhaps use open fields as my background. Not only are large, open fields stereotypically good background to use in any form of media, (such as in Windows Computers, when open field images are set as sample pictures) but the emptiness of the field images may actually work, since in the story of my music video, the man played by me is lonely and drunk, and metaphorically lost by being dumped by his girlfriend in the video. The field images will send this message that the man is lost, lonely, and empty inside. Since the video is set at night, maybe the photos of the background field images should also be taken at night. This will also make the illustration of the Digipak become 'darker and edgier.'

1 comment:

  1. Simplicity is the key Jack. Look at The Black Keys El Camino or any Delgados album cover.

    Personally I'd avoid having 'people' or you on the front. Very difficult to take a decent photo of yourself (or anyone). If you do want to take a pic of your own face then google search the photographer Martin Schoeller

    ReplyDelete