Friday 14 September 2012

Pitch feedback:

I have recieved feedback today based on my pitch for the music video I am planning to produce.
These are some of the comments I have recieved:

Feedback From Pitch

Frequent issues raised from the feedback:
- Target audience. Most criticized the audience being too wide spread and varied. Both 16-20 and 40+ seems like too much of a gap to appeal to both. The original intention was that the new video would maintain it's current audience due to the original video appealing to 40 year olds, then the added illustration and sequences in my recreation would also attract a new, younger audience. Most of the students have not yet seen the original video, neither are they completely aware of my intentions, since my pitch presentation only consisted of my Animoto video. It seems overall that I may require a change to my target audience. I will plan to aim for a common ground. Since my artist is younger, the remake may not appeal to a 40+ audience anymore. I would have therefore remained with my 16-20 audience, but the feedback has convinced me otherwise. I will now aim for a common ground audience demographic in that of people in their late 20's/early 30's, young enough to still relate to the narrative story and artist in my video, but not too young that they do not appreciate the genre. Most people in the feedback claimed that soft rock was not their type of genre...
- The genre itself was a common issue raised by the feedback responses. Most people, in fact almost all of them, stated that soft rock was not their type of genre and therefore would not watch it. This raised the issue of the target audience. So I will now change my audience to target as it is clear both my intended age ranges are not going to be appealed by my music video for certain reasons. I will aim for a common ground audience as previously said. To make sure this decision works, I will conduct some market research via a questionnaire survey to see if my new audience (late 20's, 30's) are really going to be interested in this type of video. It seems more likely compared to 16-20 year olds, who tend to be stereotypically more into hard rock, rap, bass and other more 'hardcore' genres.
- The story. Some of the females students criticized the idea because it seemed too depressing and sad for a narrative video. However, despite what my animoto video represented, the original video actually presents a path of emotional redemption. The artist, Chris, feels sad, but later he felt better as the lyrics and tune picked up. The same song will be used in my remake. So the emotional redemption pathway is automatic in my video. Therefore, this criticism is not fully accurate in its meaning and intent. This is an issue with the entire feedback, as none of the students have actually watched the video before.
- The artist and the filming. This was not actually brought up in any of the evidence of feedback above, but was generally brought up as an issue nonetheless. This video will require an artist who appeals to the audience. At 17, I appealed perfectly to the audience of 16-20 year olds. However, in the market research I will have to discover if a slightly older audience will also be interested in watching a younger artist. It seems so since the storyline and the illustration that the artist goes through in the video can still relate to this age group, if handled correctly. The filming is another issue. I have to film myself in the video or I lose marks. The issue raised here is 'how can I film myself?' The advantage I have is that my music video 'Proof' is incredibly simple in its production. Only a single close-up face shot for the entire video. The rest of the added illustration I will place into the remake is completely original. As long as I can make it work, it doesn't matter what it is. Basically, during the rest of my planning, I will have to find a way to produce the remake in a way that its possible for me to actually film myself... I may show how I will do this during my 'animatic' task.

- It's noteworthy to say that the feedback above is not accurate or significant in it's content in general because the students have not actually seen the original video. Therefore they have little understanding of my idea besides my moodboard...

1 comment:

  1. Jack, you are putting lots of effort into your posts, well done. As your peer group have recognised, your concept needs some clarification.

    CWA a high Level 2.

    ReplyDelete