Thursday 20 September 2012

I am Kloot research:

Research I have conducted on the original artists and producers of Proof, the video I will recreate, or at least be inspired by for the video I create. I will take some images from Google and explain their meanings in relation to the band itself, and therefore conclude what makes their videos well made and what I should try to look out for during my recreation of the video:

I am Kloot band analysis:

This is an image analysis on the band whose song I will use for this coursework.
General analysis: These images represent the people of the band I am Kloot. Based on the content of these images, this band seems to be a group of middle aged men who perhaps associate with younger males, since they wear street clothing. The band seems to be a trio of ‘cool’ men with a passion for certain things.
A few images in particular have been analysed as well…
Image of spray paint behind artists: This shows their street, youthful side since they are laid back against a wall that has fallen victim to youths. This shows how they can appeal to younger audiences as well as people their own age.
Image of trio inside with lights: Another image where they are wearing low class, street clothes. The coats represent them as being a group of common men, and not fancy pop star singers like most stars in the music industry. Perhaps they are using this to attract lower socio-economic groups to their songs.
Black and white image at top right: They are in a spacious colourless room, or so it seems, where they appear to be acting casual. This applies the image that they are once again, common men who do nothing spectacular; they’re just like a normal group of men.
Image of the guitar: This asserts their soft rock image into illustration. They don’t bang their head, swing around the stage, or play heavy metal. They just use soft, casual themed common light instruments like classic guitars.
Image of the tree: The tree symbolises mystery, enigma, and abnormality. The tree, in contrast, is in black and white image setting, which implies dull and brogan nature. The two combined average out to a normal level of interest. In a way, it metaphorically represents I am Kloot as a band of normal, common people once again who appeal to low average socio-economic groups. Also, the tree symbolises softness and casualty. This comes with the soft rock/alternative genres that the band uses.

How this helps me?

It appears that, based on the analysis of some images from Google about the band, I am Kloot is a trio of common men, who do not spectacular, that play soft rock, and appeal to young adults within low socio-economic groups. This helps me because…
-          I am appealing to a low socio-economic group. My narrative feature involves a story based on an artist who is drunk and depressed because of a great loss/tragedy. Due to his drinking obsession and self-abuse, and bad life conditions, the video’s narrative will naturally appeal to low social groups, much like how I am Kloot do with their videos via their image. It seems we have a similar target audience. Since it worked for them, history implies I will be successful in using my young adult target audience to gain interest for my video.
-          I am aiming at an audience of young adults. Mostly male, late 20’s and early 30’s. I am Kloot appeals to comparably younger adults via their image, their street nature, and their clothing and background. (literally in some cases) Since I am Kloot have been successful with this to some extent, it implies my idea to aim at a young adult audience with my video is generally a beneficial one.
-     While they tend to aim at lower middle class people, it seems that these people are still generally highly educated, and these people are able to respond to the melancholic image that I am Kloot sends to them very positively. The audience they have can relate to a lot of the lyric content, featured narrative, and other properties in a music video produced by the band in a very efficient manner that makes them a passionate fanbase and ensures greater success for the band. Again, since my audience will have seemingly similar qualities, my amplification of narrative and story will only seem to strengthen audience support.
-     This analysis helps me to understand what my target audience requires. It allows me to realise what I must include in my video of Proof. To say I am going to 'recreate' Proof the music video is not as accurate as it seems. What I am actually doing is creating a music video that is inspired by various other music videos including Proof. The fact that my video will be produced differently and with added narrative implies that it is more than just a remake of a simply produced video. For instance, the original Proof video was just a single close-up shot of Eccelston staring at the camera and showing his facial expressions for illustration needs. In my remake, I will add new shots and footage to supply a narrative context to the video. This will help to amplify my audience. Despite using the Proof track in my song, I will also include features from other videos, such as using image collages like used in Sinead O Connor's nothing compares 2 U. Basically, my video is a list of video inspirations placed into an idea rather than an instant remake, though I reference my video as a remake for informative purposes. Since my video is based on inspiration of various other music videos, it is necessary to conduct analysis on the videos, the statistics, reception, and other details based on content, as well as analysis on the bands, which produce and succeed from them. Since I am Kloot is the primary band to focus on in my case, it seemed like I should study their markeitng technqiues, imagery and ways of attracting an audience so I can influenced to attract audiences using the same or similar effective techniques.

1 comment:

  1. Jack. Remember we ARE NOT asking you to recreate a video, we want you to take inspiration from lots of existing videos and then make your own.

    As someone who likes I AM KLOOT and has attended some of their concerts their fan base is predominantly male and 90's indie. They are lower middle class but well educated. The melancholic nature of the songs is seen as a positive.

    ReplyDelete