Friday 7 September 2012

Song choice and target audience:

Media Studies: Song Choice for coursework:

My overall decision is to go with the’ I am Kloot’ video named ‘proof’ originally starring Christopher Eccleston. The music is of a traditional British rock variety mixed in with a bit of alternate and soft rock. I have chosen this video primarily due to its simple production. I am lacking a large amount of time, resources, or people to use for my music video so this seemed necessary. However, the intention I have is to recreate the video in a more ‘dynamic’ and interesting way so that it not only supplies more illustrative quality, but it also appeals to new target markets and an overall larger scale of audience, a key objective when producing a music video. I will also while recreating the video, add in some new camera shots or angles that not only provide more visual effect, but also reflect on the emotions and general ‘feel’ of the video, thereby providing amplification as an effective result, this should therefore draw in the already formed audience even more for my remake. There may also be some added scene and shots that were not present before so that, 1, the video I make can meet the required length for this project, but 2, so that I can contribute even more to the schematic of recreating the video in a more dynamic way. The I am Kloot video has ultimately been selected because of how I can handle my time and resource while producing a video. It’s simple, but emotional and can still drag in an audience. It’s also so I can use this dynamic schematic in order to present my skills and understanding as a media student throughout my coursework.
Overall, my main inspiration is Proof. My music video is not actually a remake, though it may occasionally be stated as a remake during my planning. What I am going to do is use this video as a main source of inspiration, while using other videos for inspiration as well such as Nothing compares 2 U, and create my own video using inspiration from other texts, media conventions, stereotypes, and narrative theories. And of course, my target audience.

Media Studies: Target audience for my video:

Due to my scheme of re-inventing and redefine the I am Kloot video, that being my song choice, I have decided to not only keep the already developed target audience (middle aged men who could relate with performing artist and actor Christopher Eccleston) I will also recreate the music video so that it can relate to and appeal to younger viewers of the music market. This means that I can develop a video with superior narrative qualities to the original and make new audience segments be interested in the video.
The target audience is very important to consider in this case, as both my song choice and production quality will depend on having an appropriate audience. I considered the factors of my plan, and it seemed that young adult viewers would be a benefit to the audience if I got to them. That is why my music video will contain shots of pubs such as the nags head, as well as a shot of a beer bottle, and possibly a collage of various youthful but depressing things such as drugs and other concepts regarding a youth’s interest. Not only does this make my remake my interesting than the original, but it appeals to an entirely new market. Furthermore, I will also be the artist instead of Chris in the video, since I am a young adult, this edition will also appeal to the new audience segment.
However, the original middle aged audience will not be abandoned as the general sentiment behind the video, of a man being hung over and depressed over the loss of a loved one will remain intact. The storyline will still appeal to older low class men in their 30’s and 40’s because that is a large audience portion in the music market. Statistics show that most people in society are that age, so purely on financial and quantitative grounds; I should keep my main audience. At first I considered targeting just at young adults to keep specific, but then I decided to target multiple age ranges. Since the lyrics are relative to British low class lifestyle for men, and the narrative sequences I add are to include shots of pubs and British beer, in order to target young people, the audience will generally be that of British people primarily. This also means the video will maintain its property of having a traditional British rock genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment